June 11, 2013

Finally something happens!

I haven't been doing much on the project for quite a while, I must admit. I have been driving around in my little A2 which is a quite nice car even with a gas engine in it ;)

But now things are starting to move again!

I have shopped around for parts and they are slowly arriving at my garage.
68 CALB100FI batteries have been ordered from ev-power.eu. The are due to get here in the end of June.
A Brusa NLG-513 charger has arrived from Brusa in Switzerland. The Brusa is the best charger around, I think, since you can configure it pretty much anyway you like. Brusa actually had a sale on them so I got it for half price! :)
The Brusa charger with cables 

After some discussions with Joost at Rebbl in the Netherlands I decided to order a Meanwell SP-750 AC/DC converter from Elfa to use as a DC/DC converter. Sounds nuts, but it turns out the Meanwell can take AC as well as DC current as input. Up to 370VDC input and it produces a nice 13.5VDC which will charge the little 12V battery a bit. I am taking a chance that it's power, 750W will be enough. The DC converter is CE marked and has nice EMC certificates.

A Kilovac 500A, 500V contactor is on its way from Farnell in the UK via its Swedish reseller Microkit.
Today a used transmission from a Audi A2 1.4TDI arrived. as did a clutch from the same car and a flywheel from a VW Polo. I have to change the transmission too, remember? Just like I changed the brakes just because of stupid Swedish regulation. Nevertheless It is good to have it here and being able to measure it without ripping the car apart.
Flywheel and clutch

The flywheel is from a Polo with the same engine as the A2 (1.4 TDI with motor code AMF) so I hope it will fit the transmission. Look at the picture below, it is tight!
I am thinking of maybe buying a VW New Bettle motor adapter from Rebbl and I have sent them some measurements of the transmission and flywheel to check if it will fit.
More stuff I have to decide upon now are AH meter to measure battery charge, current shunt, volt meter, a 500A fuse, shielded battery cable, battery connectors for connecting the CALB cells to eachother and a lot more...
I have pretty much decided to go for the Kostov K9HV motor and the Evnetics Soliton Jr controller, but they are not ordered yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I ordered my adapter (New Beetle) from rebirthauto.com and it was a great machine work. As I ordered a Warp9 right away, they shipped it assembled, so I had only to put the flywheel on it and mount it to the gearbox.
    http://e-vw.blogspot.de/2011/07/impressionen-aus-der-garage.html
    Perhaps it's worth a thought.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, nice project!
    It seems we have some common ideas.

    It is the Rebirthauto adapter that I am considering. I just need to know if it fits the Audi A2 transmission.

    / Peter

    ReplyDelete